+34 93 171 9236 · Skype: AmericanInternshipsAbroad

Requirements to apply for a SHORT STAY VISA, less than 90 days  – Schengen Visa –


    • To apply for a visa you must appear in person. To apply for a visa you need a confirmed appointment. Appointments cannot be made by phone or in person. One Appointment per applicant.
    •  Applicants must have permanent residency* status in the USA.
      (Permanent residency means the registry of your place of residence. In case of a foreign student living in the US for purpose of study, the proof of permanent US residence is their F-1 visa or Green-Card).
    •  The request for a visa must be made at the Spain’s Consulate where the applicant resides.
      Find your nearest Spanish Consulate or Embassy here. Please pay attention to the consulate’s jurisdiction area. 
    • The visa will be affixed to your passport, in your country of residence, before your departure and must be presented at the Schengen border officials at the port of entry.
    • You can not request the visa in Spain or through the mail.
      To make an appointment for this type of visa please click here
    • You can only apply within 3 months of your departure date.
    • This type of visa must besubmitted with a minimum of 15 days in advance.
    • This Visa will be stamped on your passport before you leave the United States and must be presented to Immigration Control upon first entry into a Schengen country.


The Schengen Agreement establishes a unified type of visa for short stays (up to 90 days) for the participant European countries (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland,  Italy, Latvia, Lithuania,  Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Sweden And Switzerland).

A Schengen Visa issued by an Embassy or Consulate of the aforementioned countries allows the holder to travel freely in all these countries and it will be issued by the Embassy or Consulate of the country of your main destination, the one where you will spend the longer period of time.


 Documents to submit in order to apply for Schengen Tourist Visa:


  1. Two Schengen Application forms dully filled out and signed.
  2. Two photos passport size with a white background.
  3. Passport valid for a minimum of three months after the expected visa stay.
  4. Alien Residence Card (Green-Card) or residence visa valid in USA (i.e. F-1 visa) (except B-1,B-2).
  5. Confirmed reservation of your airline ticket (Round-Trip).Just a Flight RESERVATION is required. It is highly recommended no to confirm the reservation or buy the tickets until you get your visa.
  6. Hotel reservations or a similar proof of accommodation (e.g. proof of payment to American Internships Abroad program).
  7. Proof of financial status, i.e. a major Credit Card along with the latest statement as well as your latest 3 bank statements.
  8. Travel medical insurance document for Spain with a minimum coverage of €30,000 Euros and “Repatriation Coverage”. An -Insurance card will NOT be accepted as proof of coverage.
  9. Certificate from the University in which the applicant is currently studying, specifying the program of study.
  10. Contract or declaration of accordance between the University and the Company based in Spain in which the student will carry out the internship.
  11. “Money-Order” to pay the non-refundable visa fee (the amount might be subject to changes in accordance with bilateral agreements between the countries).
  12. Applicants must submit originals and 1 copy of the above mentioned documents.

If your documents are accepted to process the visa they will not be returned. If you want your passport returned to you by mail you MUST bring a self-addressed and pre-paid UPS.COM label to receive your passport back from us. Create a shipment on-line at UPS and print the label. They do NOT accept any envelope that is no prepaid or any other type of courier or messenger service. Tracking of mailed items is the sole responsibility of the applicant.


The Consulates/Embassies normally issue the visa within 48 hours from the moment the applicant presents all the documents and completes all the requirements. –Nonetheless, American Internships Abroad cannot guarantee this period of wait, but can only inform of the estimated time.-

countries that need a Schengen visa - Internships in Spain