+34 93 171 9236 · Skype: AmericanInternshipsAbroad


Requirements to apply for a LONG-STAY VISA,

more than 90 days    –   Visado Nacional   –


When the duration of the authorized stay exceeds three months, foreign citizens holding a visa to study or to carry out internship activities, must apply for the foreign student identity card.

These visas entitle their holders to reside, to reside and work, to study, or to research in Spain. All foreigners wishing to enter Spain to reside, reside and work, or study, need to hold a visa of this kind, unless they are citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland

  •  To apply for a visa you must appear in person. To apply for a visa you need a confirmed appointment. Appointments cannot be made by phone or in person. One Appointment per applicant.
  • Applicants must have legally residency* status in the USA.(‘Legally residency’ means the registry of your place of residence. In case of a foreign student living in the US for purpose of study, the proof of permanent US residence is their F-1 visa or Green-Card).
  • The request for a visa must be made at the Spain’s Consulate where the applicant resides. Find your nearest Spanish Consulate or Embassy here.Please pay attention to the consulate’s jurisdiction area.
  • The visa will be affixed to your passport, in your country of residence, before your departure and must be presented at the border officials at the port of entry.
  • You can not request the visa in Spain or through the mail.
  • Applications for long-term visas must be submitted through a duly completed application form (original and copy).
  • The deadline for processing long-term visa applications is one month after the application has been submitted, except for the case of non-lucrative residence visas, in which the deadline shall be three months.



In the event that a visa is issued, it must be collected personally at the relevant Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post, although it is possible for a duly authorized representative to collect it, within a month after notification of issuance.

In the event that a visa is refused, the applicant shall be notified by means of a standard form indicating the grounds for refusal. In this case, a contentious-administrative appeal may be lodged before the High Court of Justice of Madrid within two months after the notification date, or, optionally, an appeal for reversal before the same Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post within a month after the refusal notification date.

Procedures and conditions for issuing these visas can be found in Organic Law 4/2000 and in its Regulations, approved by Royal Decree 557/2011.


Documents to submit in order to apply for a Long-Term Visa:


– 2 application form downloaded for free on this website , filled out and signed.

– 2 photos passport size with a white background.

– Passport. The passport must be valid for the intended period of your stay in Spain with at least one blank page to affix the visa.

-Also provide one of the following: US drivers license, US State ID card, or current student ID.

– Hotel reservations or a similar proof of accommodation (e.g. proof of payment to American Internships Abroad program).

– Proof of financial status, i.e. a major Credit Card along with the latest statement as well as your latest 3 bank statements.

– Travel medical insurance document for Spain with a minimum coverage of €30,000 Euros and “Repatriation Coverage”. An Insurance card will NOT be accepted as proof of coverage.

–  Contract or declaration of accordance between the University and the Company based in Spain in which the student will carry out the internship.

– A letter from your school or college describing the program to which the student has lastly attended.

For periods longer than 180 days, “Police Records Certificate” for persons 18 years old & up from the country of origin or place of you residence for the last five years bearing the “Apostille of the Hague Convention”.

-“Money-Order” to pay the non-refundable visa fee (the amount might be subject to changes in accordance with bilateral agreements between the countries).

Applicants must submit originals and 1 copy of the above mentioned documents. If your documents are accepted to process the visa they will not be returned.

If you want your passport returned to you by mail you MUST bring a self-addressed and pre-paid UPS.COM label to receive your passport back from us. Create a shipment on-line at  UPS and print the label. They do NOT accept any envelope that is no prepaid or any other type of courier or messenger service. Tracking of mailed items is the sole responsibility of the applicant.